Saturday, January 10, 2009

Workout Week 1

Well, here we go!!!!

The 2nd Naples Weight Loss Challenge has officially kicked off! We need a few things from you. The purpose of this blog is so that you can post your challenges, trials and successes and we can all share and learn. Sign up for the blog and post comments under the posts. (under this post you will see the word "comment" click on it. We want to hear from you and help you. Your questions could also help others.

1. What is the biggest challenge that has prevented you from reaching your goals?
2. What are your top 3 fitness/health/weight loss goals?
3. What is the #1 thing you want us to hold you accountable for?

Here is your workout plan for the week: Keep in mind that this may need to be modified for your fitness level, any injuries you may have, or what equipment you have. The most important thing is that you do what you can and get out of your comfort zone. Just when you think you can't do ANY more. Do ONE more!!

You need to email us every day that is your workout day and let us know that you completed your workout. We will be expecting your email!!

Level 1: You've never worked out or haven't worked out in over 6 months
Level 2: You work out 2-3 times per week moderately
Level 3: You work out 3-5 times per week

LEVEL 1:

Day 1: Upper body

Push ups - as many as you can
Bicep curls - Dumbells - -both weights at the same time - 10x
Tricep dips - hands on bench - dip down - keep elbows BACK - don't let them go OUTwards. The closer your feet are to you, the easier it is - so take em out! 10x
lateral shoulder raise - 5lb weights - hand together in front and extend to the sides - should level - keep arms straight - 10x
One arm row - lean down on bench with one hand. Extend arm with dumbell and pull up - squeeze shoulder blade with each rep - 10x
Tricep kick backs - same position as you did the one arm row- keep your arm up and kick the weight back and bring it forward - 10x
Front shoulder raise - 3 or 5lbs in each hand - weights on thighs - lift straight out in front of you - shoulder level - 10x
Crunches: 20

DO 2 -3 SETS OF EACH



Day 2: Cardio

Walking, Biking, Elliptical, etc - 20 minutes - you should be at a pace that you can hold a conversation but not want to.
Crunches: 20



Day 3: Legs

Standing lunges - hold 8 lb weights - stand in lunge position and bend one knee 2 inches from the ground then up - don't bounce and don't let front knee go over toe - do 10reps on each leg
Squats - dumbells in each hand - 15x
Step ups - use a step, low bench or stairs - grab weights in each hand and put right foot on bench or stair. Keep that foot up and step up with the opposite foot. Keep tension on that top leg the entire time. 10x each leg
Plies - (think ballet) legs wide, toes pointed at angle outward - hold a 20lb weight in the middle with both hands and squat down 20 times
Crunches: 20

DO 2-3 SETS

Day 4: Cardio

20 minutes

LEVEL 2:


Day 1: Upper body

Push ups - as many as you can
Bicep curls - Dumbells - -both weights at the same time - 12x
Tricep dips - hands on bench - dip down - keep elbows BACK - don't let them go OUTwards. The closer your feet are to you, the easier it is - so take em out! 12x
lateral shoulder raise - 5lb weights - hand together in front and extend to the sides - should level - keep arms straight - 12x
One arm row - lean down on bench with one hand. Extend arm with dumbell and pull up - squeeze shoulder blade with each rep - 12x
Tricep kick backs - same position as you did the one arm row- keep your arm up and kick the weight back and bring it forward - 12x
Front shoulder raise - 3 or 5lbs in each hand - weights on thighs - lift straight out in front of you - shoulder level - 12x
Crunches: 20

DO 3 SETS OF EACH



Day 2: Cardio

Walking, Biking, Elliptical, etc - 30 minutes - you should be at a pace that you can hold a conversation but not want to.
Crunches: 20


Day 3: Legs

Standing lunges - hold 8 lb weights - stand in lunge position and bend one knee 2 inches from the ground then up - don't bounce and don't let front knee go over toe - do 15 reps on each leg
Squats - dumbells in each hand - 15x
Step ups - use a step, low bench or stairs - grab weights in each hand and put right foot on bench or stair. Keep that foot up and step up with the opposite foot. Keep tension on that top leg the entire time. 15x each leg
Plies - (think ballet) legs wide, toes pointed at angle outward - hold a 20lb weight in the middle with both hands and squat down 20 times
Crunches: 20

DO 2-3 SETS

Day 4: Cardio

30 minutes


LEVEL 3:

Day 1: Upper body

Push ups - as many as you can - on your toes
Bicep curls - Dumbells - -both weights at the same time - 15x
Tricep dips - hands on bench - dip down - keep elbows BACK - don't let them go OUTwards. The closer your feet are to you, the easier it is - so take em out! 15x
lateral shoulder raise - 5lb weights - hand together in front and extend to the sides - should level - keep arms straight - 15x
One arm row - lean down on bench with one hand. Extend arm with dumbell and pull up - squeeze shoulder blade with each rep - 15x
Tricep kick backs - same position as you did the one arm row- keep your arm up and kick the weight back and bring it forward - 15x
Front shoulder raise - 3 or 5lbs in each hand - weights on thighs - lift straight out in front of you - shoulder level - 15x
crunches: 25

DO 2 -3 SETS OF EACH



Day 2: Cardio

Walking, Biking, Elliptical, etc - 30 minutes - you should be at a pace that you can hold a conversation but not want to.
Crunches: 25

Day 3: Legs

Standing lunges - hold 8 lb weights - stand in lunge position and bend one knee 2 inches from the ground then up - don't bounce and don't let front knee go over toe - do 15 reps on each leg
Squats - dumbells in each hand - 15x
Step ups - use a step, low bench or stairs - grab weights in each hand and put right foot on bench or stair. Keep that foot up and step up with the opposite foot. Keep tension on that top leg the entire time. 15x each leg
Plies - (think ballet) legs wide, toes pointed at angle outward - hold a 20lb weight in the middle with both hands and squat down 20 times
Crunches: 25

DO 2-3 SETS

Day 4: Cardio

45 minutes

24 comments:

Challenger said...

Hello Beth and Livio,
I know you said we'd be sore, but the back of my upper arms (right above the elbows) was so sore that it woke me repeatedly last night. Is there something I can do today to ease the soreness? I've tried stretching but am still very sore. Would heat be a good idea?
Thanks!
Carolynne

Anonymous said...

Im not an expert , but i think that you are sore because your muscles got torn. I believe you need to eat more food to repair your body. But make healthy choices.

-Colin

NWLC said...

Hi Carolynne,
A couple of things you can do are to keep hydrated by drinking water and to keep stretching. Also, maybe go for a walk and keep them moving. The less you move them, the stiffer they will become.

Hope you had fun at the workout!

Mindy and Livio

Alexa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alexa said...

Hi,
Thanks for the great workout on sat.! is it ok if we do a little different workout or should we follow your to a t? I am running 3 days a week and doing a strength training class at my gym 2 days a week. my schedule is Mon.-cardio, Tue.- weights, Wed. cardio, Thur.- weights, Fri - Cardio.
Thanks
Alexa

NWLC said...

Hi Alexa!
Glad you liked the workout! You don't have to follow our workout guidelines if you already have a plan that works for you. We just want to make sure you have a plan and are working out. Your program looks great - just make sure your intensity is high enough. If you need some new ideas or motivation let us know!!
Mindy and Livio

NWLC said...

Also, it's important to change your workout up every few weeks. Your body gets used to things after a short amount of time, which will slow your results!

Alexa said...

Thanks, what im doing is a running podcast to help me learn to run 5k in 9 weeks so every week is slightly different ie. run 60 sec walk 90 and the following week is run 90 walk 90& so on. im also doing a rowing machine & sometimes the star climber so im trying to mix it up a little. i like doing the weight class cause they really push us & i actually feel it. lol. as opposed to me doing weights & getting frustrated. Thanks for the help and im looking foward to the next meet at the park.
Alexa

Donna Lewington said...

Hello,
Do we post our workout progress here?
Thanks!

NWLC said...

That's right, Donna - we need you to post your results and be accountable for doing you're workout daily.
How are you doing so far?

Anonymous said...

I started a Blogger Blog, its really easy to set one up so you can track your progress online.

To setup a free blog goto - http://www.blogger.com

If you wanna check out my blog goto http://colinspencerwoodnaples.blogspot.com

I wish everyone luck with takin off all the weight!!

Donna Lewington said...

Hello,

I'm not doing so well. I went out on my roller blades on Sunday night and fell right on my tail bone. I am waiting on the x-ray results to see if it is broken or not.

I managed to do most of the upper body workout last night but I'm afraid I can't do any more than that for right now.

I will make it to the seminar on Saturday but may not be able to stay for the workout. We will see how things go.

Thanks!

Donna Lewington said...

Hello:
I still don't have the results back from my x-rays but with help from my medications, I have been able to do some working out.
On Monday I did everything on the upper body workout except push ups, tricep dips, one arm row and tricep kick backs. My injury limited me. I did 3 sets of each.

Tuesday I couldn't do anything because taking the new medicines knocked me off my feet but today I have managed to do the 20 minutes of walking and everything on the legs workout except the plies. I don't have a 20 pound weight. The only equipment I have at home are two 5 pound dumbells. I did 2 sets of each.

Considering my injury I think I am doing well and I also feel GREAT because I have lost 6 pounds since Saturday!! It just goes to show what cutting out the junk food can do!!!

NWLC said...

Donna,
You're doing great! Take it easy though until you get ok from the doctor. You don't want to risk injuring yourself further.

I can't believe you've lost 6 lbs since Saturday! That's amazing! Yes, diet is probably 80% of the program! Since you can't workout, it's good to pay extra attention to eating healthy!

Keep it up

NWLC said...

How's everyone else doing? Let us know!! We are here to help you!!

Tracy P said...

Boy was I sore after Saturday's workout...it didn't seem like we did that much at the time but was I wrong...I continued to stretch and move so that the soreness would improve...of course motrin was part of the recovery...I am struggling with evenings...I am a snacker at night and I just go for another walk...it is helping as I lost 10 pounds the first week but are there low fat satisfying snacks we can have? I didn't know about the exercise routine so I am behind but will hop on the band wagon tomorrow!! Otherwise I am doing good...this is the year that Tracy is good to herself...Thanks for doing this for all of us! Tracy

Tracy P said...

By the way, will the workout at Cambier still be there next Saturday? It is going to be a cold one...bought an exercise mat today so I am ready!! Tracy

Anonymous said...

Donna i hope you get better. Good job on losing 6 lbs. Tracy , 10 lbs is great good job!

Donna Lewington said...

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to tell you that there are no cracks in my tailbone and I am just badly bruised. I should be fine in a few days. I am hoping I can make the workout on Saturday!

Good job on losing ten pounds Tracy. That's fantastic!

Tracy P said...

thanks guys for the support...it helps because I have a corporate team and we are accountable to them as well as ourselves...glad that the tailbone is just bruised but it still hurts pretty good I bet!
Tracy

Tracy P said...

Hey FYI for a snack I found Orville Redinbacher popcorn 100 calorie packs...kettle corn and "butter" popcorn good but I would love to have 5 bags!! It at least gets me through until dinner...Tracy

Donna Lewington said...

Hey,
Yeah the tailbone hurts but it is getting better, although I don't think I can stay for the workout tomorrow.
Thanks for the tip on the popcorn. I didn't even know it was out there! I really like the Quaker Quake Rice Snacks. They're about 50 calories for 7 mini cakes but they tide me over until the next meal.

I want to announce that since my weigh-in last Friday, I have lost 9 pounds... that's the most I have ever lost in a single week! I am so proud of myself!!

NWLC said...

Wow - 9 lbs! That's amazing. I hope your tailbone is feeling better.

Want to meet you guys at the workout so make sure you introduce yourself!

As far as snacks go, yes, you can have them, but try to make sure they are natural foods - like fruits or veggies. Try to avoid processed foods and foods with high sugar. Just because it says "100 calories" doesn't mean it's good for you. Especially those 100 calorie snack cakes and cookies! The sugar content in those will slow your progress!

Keep it up and hope to meet you at the workout today!

Tracy P said...

As far as snacks are concerned I am eating plently of fresh fruits and veggies...I was looking for something I could have and trick my body into thinking it was bad without blowing the whole thing...I only lost 1 pound this week but last weeks loss makes me a total of 11 pounds...come on Donna let's keep it up!!!
Tracy